Notts County FC, Football in the Community, in partnership with the English Football League Trust and Ferrero are delivering a + Sport Move and Learn Project which is a school-based educational programme for primary school children. It aims to encourage physical activity, promote nutritional education and build awareness of the importance of a healthy diet and active lifestyle.
Over six weeks, the children will spend 45 minutes completing a practical session and 45 minutes in the classroom covering six different topics. These topics relate to the body, nutrition, the importance of exercise and information about food groups, in line with the recommendations outlined in the Government’s eat well plate. Player Ambassadors from Notts County FC attend sessions to interact with the children and join in with their sessions.
Ferrero is supporting the project as part of its global Kinder+Sport initiative, which is designed to get children moving.
The programme’s aims and learning outcomes follow the National Curriculum focusing on PSHE and Science.
Details of the + Sport Move and Learn Project
6 x 45 minutes in the classroom
6 x 45 minutes of physical activity
Venue: Classroom and hall or outdoor space
Support: One teacher will be required to be present and willing to participate in the sessions
The aims of the Move and Learn Project are for children to:
- Learn the importance of a healthy, balanced diet
- Learn the importance of activity every day for both physical and emotional well-being.
- Learn the importance of eating in moderate quantities
The learning outcomes of the + Sport Move and Learn Project are:
- To enable children to understand the importance of exercise in a healthy lifestyle
- To enable children to identify the nutritional components of their diet and recognise the quantities of each that they are eating
- To enable children to identify that food is the fuel that allows the body to function correctly
- To provide maths and literacy activities to support children’s learning
- To provide fun activities that promote health and physical activity in a positive way